Students will be provided an introductory background in the operation, maintenance, design, and production of machinery, transportation equipment, mining equipment, fluid power, in industrial shop operations, and intermediate manufacturing methods. The design and development of mechanical systems and the production and utilization of mechanical power are stressed. Graduates find employment in most industries, utilities, consulting engineering firms, and industrial research laboratories. The associate and baccalaureate degree programs in Mechanical Engineering Technology are accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The Mechanical Engineering Technology program publishes the following program educational objectives as broad statements describing expected accomplishments of its graduates during the first few years after graduation.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates produce working documents and perform basic analysis and design of system components in support of mechanical design and manufacturing of machine parts.
- Graduates function on professional teams and communicate with speaking, writing, and graphical skills.
- Graduates respect professional, ethical, and social issues as well as a commitment to quality and dependability.
- Graduates remain current, professionally.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge, techniques, skills and modern tools of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to solve well-defined engineering problems appropriate to the discipline.
- Students demonstratean ability to design solutions for well-defined technical problems and assist with the engineering design of systems, components, or processes appropriate to the discipline.
- Students demonstratean ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in well-defined technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature.
- Students demonstratean ability to conduct standard tests, measurements, and experiments and to analyze and interpret the results.
- Students demonstratean ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team.
- Students demonstratean ability to address professional and ethical responsibilities.
The following courses are required for the associate degrees, listed in the recommended sequence.